Contact Me

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Woodchuck, Other Animals, and Naked Ladies

Naked Ladies amongst the Nandina and Wisteria


I was sitting in the car finishing a conversation before I took the church dinner leftovers to the hens for their dinner and locked them up for the night. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw it--a woodchuck. I suppose that is what it was. For several weeks I had seen something go under the side of the house in tall grass as I walked inside in the evening or at night. Now, I could see it in the front yard about 6:15, and I did not have time to get a picture. It sat up and a cat, Sophia, tried to catch it.

Still, I sat there talking. Something bumped my car hard enough to startle me. Then, I heard the plaintive voice of a cat. I opened the door to find Sophia sitting there, just looking at me.

Finally, I got out of the car, headed up the driveway and past the house with a plate of lasagna, salad, tomatoes, bread, and a bit of cake. I never call "Delilah" until I get to the back corner of the house.

As I rounded the corner to the back of the house, Thelma and Patsy Cline headed toward me at a dead run. The little ones were being chased and swatted by Sophia! That is not the cat I thought had eaten my little one. Quickly, I got them all in the pen, dumped food, and locked them up for the night.

The Naked Ladies/Surprise Lilies/Resurrection Lilies caught me by surprise. Yesterday, there were  buds. Today, these plus another dozen had bloomed. That is a coaxial cable hanging down, ready to affix the antenna to the house.

Sorry about the naked ladies, coffeypot.

Your turn
How would you dissuade a cat who wants to kill my little chickens? Aren't those delicate, beautiful blossoms?

10 comments:

  1. I LOVE Naked Ladies, and mourn the ones a plumber killed this year. I hope some at least of them regrow.
    I have a pump action water pistol which lives (loaded) on my front veranda for use on marauding cats. It works - and is fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. EC,
    My hens dug these up about ten times one summer. I kept burying them and they would kick them back ten feet. They survived and I bet your do too. Fingers crossed for your Naked Ladies.

    I will be shopping for a pistol so I can have fun too.. I just found out this cat is NOT my friend's cat. That makes decisions easier!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure that many of your readers would use a pistol, pistol. The water pistol is as far as I am prepared to go - but is very powerful. And effective. And not messy. And with a water pistol I shoot all cats (mine included if necessary) with no guilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super soakers are great. Especially the ones that shoot 100 feet...

      Delete
    2. EC,
      No, not a real pistol at my house. Even if I had a real pistol, I could not use it in town nor would I shoot a cat. I wonder if it would work on a hen straying from home. ??? No, I don't want them to fear me.

      Delete
    3. Jason and Michelle,
      I will keep that recommendation in mind. They should be going on sale very soon to make room for school supplies.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Coffeypot,
      Only if you want to eat it. Hard!

      Delete
  5. I was super curious about the title of this post! I am not a gardener, if you can't tell...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Riot Kitty,
      Well, nothing is wrong with curiosity! Come back. I am not gardening at all. These flower bulbs just survive each year.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.